Monday, August 25, 2008

The airing of grievances

Stuff I hate. In no special order

1) Marathon Grill. I realize this is petty and it's not even that horrible of a place. But really, do we need 4 of them in Center City alone? Why?

2) The Santimommies and Stupordaddies at the Park These folks seemingly buy whole heartedly into the Kindergarchy. Your kid is not more important than anyone else's kid. Stop sitting on the bench for hours while your lil monster bites other kids. And stop deputizing perfect strangers and assuming they'll watch your child while you go get coffee. Either pay attention to your kids and actually parent them or stop breeding. I don't care which one. These are the same folks who caution against letting kids play because they could get wet or something. Listen, unless it's battery acid on the slide, the kid will be fine.

3) The nannies and au pairs at the park Once again, you sit on the bench and do the absolute minimum required to keep the kid alive. So long as it doesn't involve moving or letting the kid out of the stroller. Ironically, both caregivers and parents are guilty of this and yet I get to hear I'm such a good nanny because I play with the kids. Um, that's my job and yours too. Try doing it.

4) Trader Joe's Actually the store rocks. The people who come in at 6pm and act shocked that there is a line kill me.

5) Trips to Kentucky This is where I get to visit the boyfriend's family and enjoy a weeks worth of judgmental comments and ridiculous assumptions. And there's no alcohol because the are part of a cult... er, religion that says drinking is bad. In the past I've managed to get through with minimal drinking, but this situation calls for creativity and a lingering numbness to make it bearable. My solution is going to be a travel coffee mug with a shot of Jameson in it. I figure two cups per day should help me be better equipped to deal with the variety of insults that tend to tumble out of their mouths. I think the key is to drink slowly and steadily. The goal here is to be adequately intoxicated and yet avoid any awkward "We think you have a problem" speeches.

Wish me luck, eh?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

this past weekend i heard some of the most disturbing stories about the staff and management of the marathon grill. from people who had worked there.

personally, i think their food is terrible. and i think that for how mediocre the food is, it costs entirely too much.

there are tons of really spectacular small restaurants and cafes that people should be patronizing instead of the mini-chain of marathon. places that hire their waitstaff based on experience instead of looks, that don't have management intent of screwing every female employee, and that don't hire a whole slew of illegal immigrants to work in the kitchen for 80 hours in one week, then refuse to pay them.

Forever Amused said...

I've heard some of those horror stories as well. Sadly, it's almost standard for any chain.

There are a billion good restaurants here. That's what I object to mostly, the spaces Marathon is dominating could be used for an interesting place. But why do that eh?

Unknown said...

i actually have only paid to eat there once. everything else i've had from there has been as a result of catered office meetings. i'm not impressed enough to go back and give them a dime of my own money.