Thursday, July 10, 2008

What am I listening to?

I'm glad you asked. My best musical discoveries in the past few months are the following:

MGMT
Black Kids

And as of last night, James Yuill. I suggest the "No Pins Allowed" video. The boyfriend pointed me to this last night and for whatever reason, I love it.

MGMT will be in town on the 25th. Unfortunately when they first were coming to town, I missed buying tickets. I walked around really annoyed with myself for a solid two days. But! I posted on craigslist to get tickets... And instead the dude from R5 Productions emailed me to let me know the venue had changed (to the acoustically shitty Starlight Ballroom) and that tickets were again available. I will take my chances and report back. I imagine MGMT will sound better than Ted Leo did. The highlight of that show was the man in the back who literally turned the entire room into his own personal version of So You Think You Can Dance. He danced nonstop. It was both bewildering and really ballsy. I have to wonder what combination of substances produces that effect.

I was supposed to see the Black Kids at World Cafe a few weeks back, but I didn't managed to get out of bed before noon. Disturbing, no?

Granted, I'm listening to more stuff than listed, but who wants to read a blog where a random stranger tries to give out dozens of band recommendations or worse, out-indie you by naming bands so obscure they only exist in my head?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i'm ALWAYS out-indied. i haven't listened to anything but levon helm and old INXS albums in like, three months.

actually, i'm fairly indifferent toward music, and my "official" stance is that i hate it. this gets me out of conversations where people try to out-indie me. it's very good at stopping people in their tracks. so is interrupting to switch the subject over to opera. nothing puts a look of bewilderment on the face of a very hip 20something than responding to the question "so what shows have you see lately" with "rigoletto and turandot."