Wednesday, June 11, 2008

On men.

Tonight, for the first time in a long time, a man hit on me in a way that didn't make me want to punch him in the crotch. It was refreshing. Respectful, normal, understood when I said I was married (which I'm not, but it's easier than saying "I'm happily coupled with my long term domestic partner"), didn't follow me to my door because he didn't want me to think he was crazy. If I was single, he would have gotten my number. Simply by not being a complete tool.

Juxtapose this with the usual crap I get to hear.

"Wow, you've got a nice ass" Um. Thanks?

Upon being politely told I'm not interested because I'm with someone
"No ring, no rules"

"Hey bitch, let me talk to you" .... Do people go for this? Are there a lot of people wandering around the get turned on by being degraded by strangers?

My favorite though is men who try to talk to me... when I'm out with my boyfriend. Or any other group of male friends. But especially when I'm actually physically there with my boyfriend and it starts. I mean, good grief, there are plenty of horny single women in Philadelphia. I'm not single. Please go about your day, nothing to see here!

My friends have stated this kind of crap doesn't happen to them regularly, whereas I reject people all day long. Even when I'm pushing a stroller at work, someone wants to know if I want to have some more kids and that I can call him when I do *puke* I guess some gals have all the luck, eh?

I could go the rest of my life without hearing "Hey shorty" or my friends hearing "Who's your cute friend" or "Where is she going? I wanted to talk to her?" or the more vulgar versions.

Evidently not throwing battery acid in their faces is a sign of sexual interest. Who knew?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i actually am married and i still get that crap sometimes.

in fact, my response of, "i'm married" is often met with, "are you happy?"

yuck.

Forever Amused said...

Oy. because a moment's unhappiness means you should bed a stranger.

Unknown said...

yeah, as if the response would be, "now that you mention it, no, i'm not... my place or yours?"

Forever Amused said...

I know that's how I roll.