Sunday, May 4, 2008

Poor Satan. He's going to come for your soul and leave empty handed.

Sometimes you realize that adulthood hasn't exactly been as you had pictured it. I look at the boyfriend and I. We both went to college. Drexel and Ohio State. We both work jobs that have nothing to do with what we studied. He can't seem to find a good full time job that isn't soul crushing or completely unethical. Meanwhile, I work with children and have somehow managed to work 30 hours a week and bring home a full time salary. And the rest of our friends work at a variety of jobs that range in flavor from tedious and unfulfilling to soul crushing and a reason to drink alone.

This is not what they tell you in school. They don't tell you that you're acquiring thousands of dollars in student loan debt in order to be a good worker bee until the day you keel over dead. They don't tell you that college attendance in and of itself is a guarantee of nothing other than short lived daily intellectual stimulation that you miss during your more mind numbing days at work. What I wouldn't give to spend my day waxing poetic about feminist theory. Hell. I'd settle for debating the best model for treating addiction. The days when there was an answer.

Tomorrow I will rise at 6:30am. I will wince looking at my clock. I will ready myself for my day. I'll get on the subway and try to avoid becoming a victim of feral teenagers. I will get off at Broad and Walnut. I will wait for my bus and read the Metro. I will take care of babies and note all of the cool new stuff they do during the day for their parents. I will do puzzles while they sleep. My afternoon will cap off at Clark Park, weather permitting. I can map all of this out because this is about all I have going on. I read nearly constantly these days because I feel like apoptosis of my brain cells is eminent.

Wait. What the hell was I going to say next? This is my point.

No comments: